And we're back with the third episode of Dead Darlings Podcast (did you miss us?) This month Laurie Eaves and Rebecca Cooney are joined by the improv poetry force de tour which is Jah-Mir Early and we have a special guest host in the form of The Repeat Beat Poet bringing all the dope vibes.
Our live poem of the month comes from Olivia Hall at the Genesis Poetry Slam (special thanks to Peter Hayhoe and Muddy Feet Poetry for sharing their audio for it).
Plus we squeeze in 11 minutes of chat on Rupi Kaur's Milk and Honey (Andrews McMeel Publishing). I have thoughts. Lots of thoughts. 38 minutes of thoughts in fact that we'll be sharing next week as a bonus episode...
But in the meantime, here's all the other things we bigged up in our chat...
1st/8th/15th/22nd/29th Oct - Poetry Unplugged at The Poetry Cafe, Covent Garden
2nd/16th Oct - Spoken Word London at VFD, Dalston
2nd Oct - Tongue Punch - Featuring Jake Wild Hall, Tom Thumb Theatre, Margate
3rd Oct - Genesis Poetry Slam October 2019 at Genesis Cinema, Stepney Green
3rd Oct - Word on the Street with Anthony Anaxagorou and Phonetic, Harlem Soul, Old Street
3rd Oct - Speakeasy with Harry Baker Poetry, Zia Ahmed, Belinda Zhawi and Henry Madd, Gulbenkian Theatre, Canterbury
4th Oct - Hammer & Tongue Cambridge ft. Caroline Smiling and Nikki Marrone, Cambridge Junction
4th Oct - She Grrrowls: Feminist Arts Night with Carys Hannah and Myriam San Marco headlining, The Poetry Cafe, Covent Garden
4th Oct - Bad Betty Press Showcase with Local Support - 04/10/19 - 04/10/19, The Art House, Southampton
6th Oct - The Body You're In // Pamphlet Launch with Phoebe Wagner, SET, Dalston
7th Oct - Fighting Talk with Mark 'MrT' Thompson, Steve Tasane and Usaama Minhas headlining, Greenwich Theatre, Greenwich
9th Oct - Boomerang Club #56
with Jamal Luddin and Phoebe Wagner headlining, Rutland Arms, Hammersmith
12th Oct - We are all Amazing with Lemn Sissay at Glassbox Theatre, Gillingham
15th Oct - Raise the Bar's 5th Birthday Party! | Thekla | Thekla with Tony D, Shay D and Harry Baker Poetry plus loads more, Thekla, Bristol
17th Oct - Pen-Ting Vol. 23 - Black Futures 2 (Features TBA) at SET, Dalston
19th Oct - Fenspeak, Caron Freeborn headlining, Babylon Gallert, Ely
21st Oct - Chocolate Poetry Club, Camden Eye
21st Oct - Incite, Phoenix Artists Bar, Soho
24th Oct - Speak= Hallowe'en Special! with London Queer Writers (Features TBC), Jago, Dalston
24th Oct - Good Earth | Caroline Teague's Book Launch at Genesis Cinema, Stepney Green
24th Oct - Bad Betty Shots S2: Launch, with Zena Edwards, Clare Pollard, Amaal Said, Belinda Zhawi, Tim Wells, Jake Wild Hall and Amy Acre, SET, Dalston
25th Oct - Once Upon A Mic with Jah-Mir Early and Math Jones at The Castle, Whitechapel
27th Oct - Allographic Open Mic featuring Claire Trévien, CUC Wine Bar, Cambridge
28-29th Oct - Urban Arts Festival (Wembley Park) inc. a bunch of spoken word stuff, Wembley
31st Oct - The Anti-Slam: Halloween Special, Camden Comedy Club, Camden
1st/8th/15th/22nd/29th - Words Down:The Writing Session with Hannah Gordon at Rubio, Harlesden
- And They Are Covered in Gold Light, Amy Acre (Bad Betty Press)
- Blank, Jake Wild Hall, (Bad Betty Press)
- Living in Colour, Carl Burkitt (Self-published)
- Notes on Loneliness, Daniel Cockrill (Burning Eye Books)
- Stage Invasion, Peter Bearder (Out-Spoken)
- Let Me Know When You're Home (Dear Damsels) is currently seeking funding on Kickstarter here - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lmkwyh/let-me-know-when-youre-home
- Apples and Snakes North are looking for 5 female-identifying or non-binary poets in the North of England to commission for Deranged Poetesses on Saturday 9 November 7-9pm, at ARC Stockton. Artists are asked to respond to the theme of Sound | Wave, in whatever way they wish. Proposals may lean more towards ‘sound’ or ‘wave’ as their primary inspiration but, in our experience, the most exciting and unique approaches will be sparked by the creative possibilities when both sides of the provocation are brought together. The fee is £150 plus travel and accommodation costs. Deadline for applications: Tuesday 8 October, Noon
- The National Poetry Competition, run by the Poetry Society, is open to anyone aged 17 or older. The competition is for previously unpublished poems of up to 40 lines in length, there are 10 Prizes, First Prize: £5000, Second Prize: £2000, Third Prize: £1000 and Seven commendations: £200
The deadline is 31 October 2019
- The White Review Poet’s Prize is now open - they’re looking for poetry portfolios of 5 to 10 pages from previously unpublished poets. The winner gets £1,700, as well as expert, personalised professional and editorial advice, and publication of their entry in The White Review.
It costs £12 to enter but they do have 50 free entries available for poets on low income.
That closes at 5.00pm on 7 November 2019.
- The Poetry Wales award is open to poets from Wales and beyond - the winning poet will get £100 and the top three poets will get their work published in Poetry Wales magazine.
Entries are open until 28 November. Entry is £5 but again there are free entries available to those on lower incomes.
Phew! That's shallot! Be sure to stick about for the BONUS EPISODE next week - promise the rant will be worth it!